Dreams

HolD FaSt tO DreaMs BecauSe If DreaMs Die LiFe is a BroKen WinGeD BirD that CaNnoT fLy.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just another thought

After reading Professor Morosoff's blog post regarding PR salaries i got to thinking. Why the hell didn't i try and go to medical school. The amount of money that entry level positions get paid isnt even enough to cover the college loans that were given. Ive interned for a few weeks now and spoken to various people in the field about what it means to be in PR and what it entails, The CEO of my company provided me with the best advice and motivated me back into loving PR. he told me that once you have realized that PR is what you want to be you must turn into a monster. You must learn to eat, breath, and sleep PR. You have a choice to work in what ever area you want from politics to celebrities. Once you have chosen then develop yours skills. As we get older it becomes harder and harder to get good at new things so he told me the only way to be successful in this field is to dedicate yourself to your job. We are only responsible for the amount of effort we put into to something. He told me that i had to be ready to sacrifice a lot in order to become great in my field. I got into PR because i believe that with every day that passes new opportunities are presented to you. We meet new people and new clients so often that there cannot be a dull moment. And if there is a dull moment is simply means that your not working hard enough. Thats just how i feel. Im not ready to be on my CEO's level yet but one day i do believe that i will breath PR and dedicate myself to it until i reach my goal....whatever that goal is.

8 comments:

  1. You have some wise CEO...I can relate through some of my experiences as an intern. At my first internship, I had some days start at 7:45 am and not end until 11.5-12 hours later. My first day of my current internship, as I was leaving at 10:00 pm (3.5 hours later then slated), some of the assistant to the account executives and account executives were just gearing up for a late night. As I am writing this, the clock strikes 4:30 am and I have to be up in 2 hours for another day of class and internships. Enough said.

    Some parts of the industry are 24/7 and if they are not, we as practitioners are almost expected to make them 24/7. When it comes to a particular client's campaign, we get in return as much as we inject.

    A mere few months away from graduation, deciding on a goal is next to impossible. I personally do not know what I want and probably will not know until I get a few more years of experience. He thought of thinking more then a few years down the road is a little scary.

    Great post Artur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I don't want to think of how poor I'm going to be when I graduate. Fashion people are cheap, oddly enough, and I'm going into PR. Sigh!

    Your CEO speaks the truth though, and so does Alex. My first (real) internship, I worked 12 hour days, and absolutely loved it. That's the only reason I knew I actually wanted to be in PR, because if I could slave at an office for 12 hours and still want to return the next day, then the stars had actually aligned and I'd found my dream field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artur,

    I totally agree to everything that you have said in this post. IT is so true with all you said about chosing PR as your major. There is always something new happening and you never know where PR will take you. I really did not know myself what i wanted to do but i knew i wanted to make a difference in people's lives and make success for them and i knew that in PR it is all about my success is your success. Keep this attitude up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, based solely on my blog title, I agree with your CEO. I just don't know if PR is right for me, in this regard. I definitely think I can embrace and immerse myself in wedding planning/industry but not PR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess when I first thought of PR I thought about it only in the entertainment aspect. I never realized until going through majority of our core classes and noticing more things around me that PR can basically go into almost anything, if the right people are handling it of course. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm counting the days until graduation just to know when I'm going to be in full panic mode. So many people are looking for jobs and applying and I feel like I'm stuck in the middle wanting to, but not making the move just yet.

    I do however see myself wanting to be great at what I do and I don't think that it just applies to PR. I feel as though if you can put your whole heart into something and truly enjoy it there is no doubt that the end result will come out fabulous. As for your CEO I do agree with him. Eventually when I weed out the things I don't want to do, I'll find where I fit in most and be able to immerse myself into it entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TThis post really caught my eye. I have been through the same situations, and same thoughts but the truth is beside the money aspect. As a PR person you really can go into any aspect of any company. EVERY COMPANY NEEDS A PR PERSON, and thats what makes the job so rewarding. If you don't like one industry you can go into another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am fully expecting to live at my job for the first few years. As an entry level employee, I want to make a name for myself as a dedicated worker. As I am about to walk down the aisle, I am still pondering what the perfect industry is for me. I know as I work I will eventually find it. I look forward to the unexpected work day because it will keep me on top of my feet. If I could make it through my day, I know it will be rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading what the CEO said is terrifying. That is exactly why i am not ready to graduate, I'm not ready for my whole life to be work. But I guess if you don't let it than it won't. I think our generation might be able to handle it better because we are better multitaskers we might be ok! (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete